The North American P-51 Mustang
The North American P-51 Mustang
P-51 Who?
P-51 Who?
Test your P-51 memory, knowledge and research ability!
P-51 Who?  
Dig out your old photo and slide (shoe) boxes.   Send us any older P-51 images.   Email to mustangsx2(-at-)
5 OPEN P-51 Who Cases
Case 431     Jan 01 2016
Bruce Guberman
P-51 Who
Santa Monica 1958/59
Kinda Tough
Case 362     Jun 03 2009
Dick Phillips
P-51 Who
unknown date/place
Case 120     Jun 01 2001
Tom Smith
P-51 Who
1959 Sarasota, FL
photo by Jim Hess
Extremely Hard
Case 430     Aug 13 2015
Jim Bowman
P-51 Who
We know the P-51, who is the pilot and GIB?
June 1969
Case 140     Nov 01 2001
Dick Phillips
P-51 Who
Extremely Hard
10 Most Recent Who Posts
Roger Cain
Tuesday Jul 09 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 88
Correct date for this picture should be May, 1982, not '83 Thanks for still having this posted.
Tuesday May 28 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 62
I am John Wright’s daughter. Let me clarify a few facts. Dad was Stanford Mechanical Engineer graduate and graduate of Stanford Business School, an air force trained pilot, a Pan Am check pilot, and later Chief Pilot in LA for Pan Am. He saw the P51 in a hanger in Manila, Philippines while on a Pan Am trip. Through a bit of research he was able to find out it was owned by Enrique Zobel (from an affluent Filipino family). Dad was able to make contact with him. Dad wanted to buy the plane but it was expensive even then and he was also unsure about how to get the plane back to the US. Enrique wanted some US military style helicopters. If Dad could secure the helicopters for Enrique and arrange their shipment to Manila he would sell the 51 at a material discount to Dad. (I remember test flying with Dad in one of the helicopters.) Dad was successful securing the acquisition of the helicopters and when the negotiations were complete Dad spent a fair amount of time securing P51 parts and arranging for 2 months off from Pan Am. He moved to Manila to rebuild the engine. He was a natural, easy, and trained mechanic having grown up on a cattle ranch in Northern Nevada were you repaired your own rig or walked tens of miles back to headquarters. He hired one local mechanic assistant and spent the next six weeks rebuilding the engine and putting drop tanks on the wings. My mother back at home with us three kids would arrange for the shipment of parts from the US and Europe. He also was arranging for his flight route back across the Pacific from the Philippines, to Japan, across the Bering Sea, along the Aleutians, and along the Pacific coast of North America landing in Reno, Nevada. I have very vivid memories of him landing at Stead at dusk. Though we have audio tapes of the trip I do not remember the number of days it took. I believe his longest leg was eight hours. He did not run out of fuel when the 51 crashed in Elko, but he did on that trip. The visibility had gone to almost zero and his radio was not working. While working on the radio and distracted he forget to switch the fuel to the other drop tank. The engine died and it took him a painfully long time in the fog, dropping in altitude over the Bering Sea to get the engine restated. Another clarification, though he flew in the Air Force and later the Air Guard he was too young to have flown in WWII. He was born in 1932 and was in the Air Force and Guard in between Korea and Vietnam. Also, he competed in the Reno Air Races several times and was more than a Bronze medalist. He had several silver, bronzes and a gold metal (which sits in my shelf). Dad was known as an outstanding pilot who often out flew others in his stock P51 against modified planes with clipped wings, modified propellers, etc.. He was often his own mechanic which maybe why he so rarely had a mechanical problem during the races. He was not flying the day the P51 buzzed the highway out near Pyramid Lake and scared two girls who drove off the rode. His friend Carl Barlow was flying. I do not remember all the specifics but I suspect dad may have taken responsibility. On the fateful day he and Mom crashed he had been asked to come be a sort of Master of Ceremonies at a mini air show in Elko the week before the races. Having grown up on an Elko area ranch he was a local boy and an award winning Air Race Pilot. A lot of the planes ferry across the US to Reno for the races and the Elko Chamber of Commerce wanted to take advantage of that and host a mini show. At the time Mom and Dad were not living in Nevada but the 51 was hangered in Carson City. He had not flown the plane in months. He and Mom flew into Reno commercially that morning. They saw my sister and they looked great (they were both very attractive and exceptional youthful 48 and 49). So my sister knew Mom was with him. The reason others were not sure at first was because when we were young Dad generally would not fly in a single engine plane with Mom out of caution and protection of us. But we were all in college by then. They took off and it was a clear, pretty day. It takes about an hour to fly from Reno to Elko and the plane seemed to be flying well. Dad decided (I believe spontaneously) to do some acrobatics before landing. His brother and nephews were in the audience. My understanding is he was doing an eight point role and the FAA concluded the engine failed while he was inverted which they attributed to sediment in the fuel. Though he apparently was able to get the plane right side up, my uncle believes based on what he saw that Dad was avoiding the populated area and that caused him to steer toward an area where the terrain was climbing (a knoll) which he was unable to climb over. I could be wrong about a few of the crash details. We have not discussed it in years. I would have to check with my siblings but I believe Dad may have sold a part interest in the P51 to Ted Conti. I do recall we sold Ted Dad’s extra engine and several parts after his death. I remember flying with Dad to London to search through an old WWII warehouse that had a container full of wax and Vaseline packed 51 parts. I carried a small wax covered red cardboard box for years that held a small part from that trip. All of this should clarify a few of the details. The part I cannot be held to without checking with my uncle are the crash details. We were devastated in the aftermath. He loved that plane. I only rode in it once and the noise, maneuverability, and bubble canopy made it a powerful experience, second only to standing at a pylon and seeing your dad’s silhouette as he banked and roared by during a race. The Mustang and my father we’re well suited and my mother and father were even better suited given how they both embraced life. Mom probably insisted on going with him. She was game for any adventure and adored him. The bent and twisted propeller now stands mounted high above the headquarters at my father’s family ranch.
J Chambers
Monday May 20 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 406
When I was younger, I worked extensively on Dr. Bill Veatch‘s P51 at the Olympia Airport. One of my favorite moments was when I got to taxi her. It was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever done.
I was promised a flight, but unfortunately the wrecked happened.
I still have loads of pictures doing the rebuild, even of the stripped down VW that was used for pushing/pulling her in & out of the hanger.
I also kept a copy of the Olympian from her final tragic flight.
I sure miss those days!!
Alejandro Irausquin
Monday May 13 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 179
Dave Daly, that was the only P-51 in a museum in Venezuela. FAV did not had P-51s. It was received with the FAB paint scheme with the shark teeth, and then painted in a fake FAV paint scheme in gray. Thanks for solving this, it was a true headache. Could you please share with us photos of the restoration? Please write to alejandro.irausquin at gmail dot com
Joe W
Friday Apr 05 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 351
Dr. Mark Fouche was my uncle. He removed the rear tank in that plane so he could carry a passenger. I was fortunate enough that he took me for a ride in it when I was 12. That was 50 years ago but man what a ride it was. Even with headphones on tat rolls royce engine was totally deafening and worth every moment. I didn't know my uncle well but what I do remember on our visits was he was a real character. I remember he used to take that plane to air races and I seem to recall he also had a spare rolls royce engine. Anyway I've got an old black and white photo of the sae plane that was taken when I was 12 and went for that one ride with Uncle Mark.
Friday Apr 05 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 31
i was trained to fly that exact plane back in the late 79 jr first put me in snj because he said it was harder to fly than a t 6 i had already had t6 time at zahns on long island i read a flying magazine article about jr teaching pilots how to fly war birds i made a deal with him for a thousand bucks and I got 5 hrs snj and 10 hrs mustang which cost me another 200.00 for a place to stay back in paris tx junior was a real piece of work
John Uphoff
Thursday Apr 04 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 394
As a youth, I lived about a quarter mile west of Whiteman Airport. I always thought there was a maroon and a yellow mustang at Whiteman, but now it sound like it was the same plane. While in my house, sometimes I could hear it coming and I would run out the front door to see it, the maroon one. As it flew over, It would often be at a low altitude and sound to me like it was at full throttle. To me, it was the most incredible thing to see and hear. I heard rumors that it crash in the desert. I'm glad to hear that wasn't the case. Truly a magnificent plane!
Monday Apr 01 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 104
I was a helicopter pilot for Simplex Time Recorder and was at Chatham airport and witnessed that last flight of The Passion wagon. George came in at about 800' below an overcast and
as he broke left downwind the p 51
Continued the roll upside down into the trees.
Later I was told the propeller shaft had broken..
I guess the accident report did not show this.
This was a sad day for me to witness this Event..
Thomas Franek
Friday Mar 29 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 104
I was a neighbor of George and his family in Wolcott, CT. My parents knew George and his wife. Us kids all knew each other. We lived on Hitchcock Lake and I remember as a small kid, the distant distinct rumble of that Rolls engine and I knew it was George coming in over the lake. He would make a couple low passes at what seemed like full throttle. Then his last pass was a dive and barrel roll clean out of sight. I called it the Harley in the sky!! RIP George.
Eric Herrmann
Wednesday Mar 27 2019
P-51 Who Who Case: 17
My Dad Max Herrmann is gone now. I have a lot of Docs items, some of them are at the Iowa County Museum in Marengo.